Flag Team: First Tournament Review

Flag Team: First Tournament Review

After a long offseason the season opened up in South London. Our first game against the South coast Spitfires got off to a quick start with the Spitfires driving down for six points. The Cheetahs first drive got the ball inside the 5 yard line of the Spitfires with runs from Rookie Matthew Bonnin and a long reception from Rookie QB Tyler Mortimer to Rookie receiver Harrison Moss.

The next few drives for both teams had no points and the half ended with a pick in the end zone from second year saftey Ben Soll. The second half the cheetahs struggled on both offence and defence with the defence giving up two more touchdowns and with the game out of reach the Spitfires took a knee to finish the game. Spitfires 20-0 Cheetahs.

Game two featured the Cheetahs taking on the hosts, South London Renegades. Once again the game got off to a fast start with the Renegades offence driving down the field for six Points.

The Cheetahs first Offensive drive started with catches from Rookie centre Jamie Bartlett and runs from Running back Matthew Bonnin. Unfortunately the drive ended with no points.

After the Cheetahs Defence forced a turn over on downs the Offence was back on the field. On the first play the Renegades Defence picked off our QB and returned it for six. The Cheetahs responded with a long run from Running back Matthew followed by a 6 yard first career receiving touchdown for the Rookie running back.

The next Defensive drive saw second year player Aidan Raniere record his first interception off a tipped pass, putting the Offence in a great position to come away points. Two plays later Matthew took another to the house with a 10 yard run.

A quick touchdown drive by the Renegades stretched their lead buy during their 2 point conversions attempt a tipped pass was intercepted by our youngest player (10) Warrick Adams for his first ever pick.

The Cheetahs started the second half with a deep completion to Harrison Moss. One play later Rookie Hamish Starling caught his first touchdown from Tyler Mortimer.

The Renegades answered quickly with two quick touchdowns to stretch their lead. The Cheetahs offence answered with Hamish Starling catching a 2 yard touchdown pass for his second of the day. The Renegades killed the game off with another touchdown run leaving the score at 34-24 Renegades.

The Blitz were last up and were by far the days biggest test. The Blitz started by scoring on three straight Offensive plays and paired with a shutdown defence that didn’t let the Cheetahs score any points. After another two Blitz touchdowns the Cheetahs highlight of the game came when, Aidan Raniere intercepted the Blitz QB and returned it all the way for 2 points! The final score read Blitz 52 Cheetahs 2.

The Cheetahs Offence at the line to face the Blitz

A tough first tournament but plenty of positives to take away from it. The team worked their socks off and made all the coaches and parents proud. The Cheetahs are back at work with two training sessions until they are back in action on the 25th May at Kent.

Leave a Reply