In the lead up to our Armed Forces game on Sunday, we have caught up with a number of our past and current players who have served or are serving. Dan Filer, Senior DL has been in service this year and we spoke to him before the weekend.
1) What is you name, and your rank, regiment when you served and why did you choose a career in the armed forces?
Dan filer, rifleman, Rifles 5th battalion, I chose a career in the Armed Forces because I wanted to challenge myself mentally and physically as-well as gain some life experience I wouldn’t get from anywhere else.
2) What got you in to American Football?
I first got into American Football when the Cheetahs came into my school and did a mini training session with us.
3) What do working for the Armed Forces and American Football have in common and did American Football help you integrate back into society (if applicable)?
The Armed Forces and American Football have many things in common, however I believe the most important things in common are trust, teamwork and passion as without these neither would work as they are supposed to.
4) Why is it important we remember our Armed Forces?
It is important we remember the sacrifice that our forbearers have given and also to remember why they gave what they did, in order to keep our country safe.
5) What are you most looking forward to at the Armed Forces event?
Getting back on the field and returning to the senior squad.
6) How are you enjoying the season so far?
I have missed most of the season due to deployment but have really enjoyed the training and games I have played in so far.
7) Finally, what are your expectations for the rest of the season?
Expectation for the rest of the season is to win the rest of our games and to advance up to the prem.
We want to thank Dan for his service and anyone else who is or has been a member of our Armed Forces.
Our Armed Forces day kicks off at 12pm with the Juniors facing off against the Cambridgeshire Cats, followed by a Cadet flag game and the Senior game against the Sussex Thunder at 3pm. Find out more here.